Experts have revealed the eight specific steps to a happy and healthy marriage, including never changing each other and complimenting each other!
1) Never change each other: Experts say those little quirks were what drew you to your partner in the first place so you should never try to change them. Therapists say the most successful couples are the ones who recognize and appreciate the differences between them and their partner.
2) Compliment them! Relationship expert John Gottman found out found that the happiest couples are the ones who voiced their appreciation for each other by sharing looks and touches of gratitude. If your partner is a good parent or a good voice of reason, tell them that!
3) Revisit the past; the strongest couples rewrite history by skimming over the bad parts and focusing on the positive memories and times they shared
4) Always listen; as draining as it may be listening to your partner’s gripes is an essential element of any long-term relationship. The most important factor? Never siding with the person your partner is venting about.
5) Don’t get too comfortable; whilst it can’t be easy to get into a routine of laying out in your pajamas and watching TV together, the happiest couples are the ones who date, tell each other how good they look and do fun things together to keep the spark alive.
6) Do chores together: One of the most common sources of tension in any relationship is household chores. So, to avoid arguments over who does the washing up, do it together. Experts say sitting down together to pay the bills, do the ironing and wash the dishes are rituals that will strengthen any relationship.
7) Work out together: Working out together is the key to a happy and healthy relationship. Even if you’re on the treadmill and he’s in the weight room it’s a way to vent your first frustrations together while keeping your mind and body healthy.
8) Take a weekly walk; every couple should take a 30 minute weekly walk together. Experts say it’s a great way to catch up on what’s going on in each other’s lives and walk away life’s stress.